THE AUTHOR

My photo
Lover, Friend, Thinker, Blogger, Poet, Believer

Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Horrible Fall...Death scare

On Friday January 3rd 2014, I had a near death experience. It had snowed the previous day and I had gone to return some tools I had borrowed from a friend in Brooklyn. As is my habit when the descent is not too high, I decided to take the stairs down on my way out. As I walked confidently towards the stair case, I don't remember what I was thinking but I'm certain it was about some important thing in the future that had nothing to do with what was just about to happen. I wore boots, timberlands, if that means anything but even that was not to prevent the inevitable. As I took my first step to descend, I slipped fell backwards and started reeling unrestrained down the flight if stairs.

Fear gripped and chilled my spine as I fell. My first thought was "This is it, this is how I die". I don't have any children so I was not thinking of my kids as most people who are about to die typically do, but I was sure I was meeting my end. It was the most terrifying experience and it seemed endless as I continued to fall. A million thoughts chased each other in my head, "I shall surely die here; even if I survive I will be paralyzed for life; I won't be able to see or examine patients again; oh but I just graduated and started enjoying my work; why me oh lord; I need my limbs." Believe me when I say that if there was any possible morbid thought on earth, I thought it as I fell. I hit my head a few times on the stairs which seemed to break the fall a bit and with each bump of my head all I could get out of my mouth was JESUS! JESUS!! JESUS!!!

When I finally came to a stop at the landing of the flight of stairs, intense pain shot through my whole body that I did not even know where to focus. My first question to self was, "Are you alive?" When I realized that I was, my next thought "was don't move until someone comes so that they can call an ambulance." I lay motionless for about a minute or so and not a soul came up or down the stairs. I decided to move but very carefully. I wiggled my toes and fingers and was thankful to notice they were movable then I decided to roll over to my right side as that felt the less painful of the two. As I rolled over I heard "pop" and almost collapsed under what was arguably the most excruciating pain I had ever felt in my entire life time. Apparently, during my fall my left shoulder had popped out of joint and as I rolled over it popped back into joint and that was pain unimaginable. I lay on my right side for a couple of minutes and still no one came up or down the stairs then I decided if I don't do something I'm going to silently die here alone.

I struggled but managed to sit up using my right hand as support. I could feel pain on the left side of my tail bone so I supported myself leaning more towards my right side. I scooted backwards against the side wall to provide some support for my spine and sat quietly to ponder my next move. As I sat quietly a million thoughts flew through my head but one was paramount. The question was, if you had died today would those you have not forgiven be a able to live with themselves knowing you never forgave them for their actions? An even more serious question was, since this could have happen to them too, if the roles were reversed would you be able to live with yourself knowing you remain angry with them. In that moment all the people, family and friends, I held grudges against all came to mind. Their faces vivid, their crimes refreshed and alive in my head yet in the moment of facing possible death, their misdeeds paled and the simplicity of life as it should be, became that much clearer. The answer was obvious, the reasoning easy, I couldn't possibly live with the guilt and would not want anyone to ever live with that burden.

I'm often amazed at the methods God chooses to get my attention on certain issues especially when I feel like I know the answer already. I knew that forgiveness was the thing to do but facing death made it easier to do. I have since made attempts at restoring relationships even those for which I am certain I am owed an apology, because at the end of the day in death those grudges serve no purpose and life should be lived joyfully. Paul teaches in Romans 12:18 that as much as depends on us we should live at peace with All men.

Frederick Buechner:

Of the Seven Deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back–in many ways it is a feast fit for a king.

The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself.

The skeleton at the feast is you.

―Frederick Buechner, Wishful Thinking: A Theological ABC (New York: Harper & Row, 1973), 2.

I encourage and challenge someone to take a leaf from this chapter of my life experience and take a step towards letting go of some of these heavy stuff we carry around and make life easier for yourself. When I let go I feel lighter, happier and good, really good. When we finally come to a realization of life as good, we learn that we are created to live and not meant to just merely exist.

No comments: