THE AUTHOR

My photo
Lover, Friend, Thinker, Blogger, Poet, Believer

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SKATING WITHOUT WINGS



Thursday April 8th 8:13pm...
Today has been a very wonderful day. Not only was the weather gorgeous but I feel like I chalked a good amount of success. I began the day a little early especially since I went to bed rather late. I got on the train and immediately started to feel the same darn feeling I feel when I get on the train. It is this unexplainable feeling of struggling to focus but just feeling like I can't. I have been having these feelings for a while and I have been blaming a myriad of things from the vitamins I take up to my personal guilt. It's not a feeling I like and I try so hard to combat it but most of the time nothing helps.


I try to pray but when I do, I find that I struggle to find the words to pray which then leads me to work even harder to think and focus which is the very thing I am praying about. And so I am left feeling much worse than before. This morning I heard a voice that told me to stop and just not think or pray or do anything so I decided to do just that and that felt just great. I then decided to play a sermon on my iPhone now converted to iPod to try to relax. I wanted to hear a sermon on James I had heard a couple of months ago one that I had shared with a few people because I thought it would help them.


As I remembere it, it gave a really unique perspective on freedom that I had erstwhile not heard before. It was the idea that to live and experience true freedom is to actually live within boundaries and restrictions. When I had first heard this preached I was really shocked because my idea of freedom suggested that I could do whatever I wanted without any restrictions and setbacks I had never thought of fredom as living within the right set of restrictions. The preacher illustrates his point using the idea of a fish in water. Scientific knowledge teaches that the gills and fins of a fish are adapted for aquatic life and aquatic life alone. The fish may not like the dullness and monotony of aquatic living and may constantly crave freedom from the humdrum. If one day, the fish sees a hot, dry pavement and decides, “Here is land, I will jump on it and be free” we all know what will happen. At the very least, it will suffocate and die eventually succumbing to the mere laws that govern its existence.


Modern definitions of Freedom suggests a release from the obedience of laws and requirements; So that we resist laws and oppose anything that places any kind of restriction on our ability to do what we like or want. The definition is widely accepted but what if like the fish on the pavement we are wrong and that the real definition of freedom is living under and obeying the correct set of laws, rules and regulation and not just resisting or discarding them.


Let's think about it, If the fish decides to stay in water, will it be under laws of aquatic respiration? Absolutely! But will it die? Of course Not! rather it will experience the total freedom to continue living, breathing and swimming graciously as a fish. Perhaps we should learn to appreciate freedom under the frame work of the right type of laws to obey rather than as an oppressive restrictive denial of seemingly good things.


later in the afternoon after school I experienced something quite refreshing and somewhat corroborative of this lesson of living under the right kind of laws. I was in the park because the day was quite nice, so much so that I didn't care peppering a volleyball in my clinic attire. I didn't care who saw me wearing a button down shirt and tie and shoes playing volleyball, all that mattered was that I was out enjoying the sun with people I didn't know. as we played my eyes caught this little boy, probably about 3 years old on his father's skateboard. Not only did this little one clearly not know how to skate he but in addition he was trying to do tricks. In one attempt to flip the skate board I was sure he was going to land on his neck, I confess I was terrified.


My heart was in my hands as I feared he was going to fall and seriously injure himself but all I saw on this kid's face was this innocent, joyful beaming smile. A smile that said, I am having the best time of my life, in short, I am free so you can stand and worry about me but I will have fun. He was just being a kid, living under the rules of a kid and that was all he knew to be. Perhaps in his mind he was sure his father would catch him in a timely fashion should he fall or injure himself, I don't know for sure but I can only assume that such a thought could contribute to making his joy more complete and to a degree we can all feel like that if we wanted to.

19 comments:

Cocokareem said...

Right now your struggles seem to be posting something new on this blog.. we miss updates!!!

Benjy said...

I will be posting tonight God willing. I started something and got to the middle but tonight there is something on my heart I need to explore so if nothing at all, I will begin writing.

Anonymous said...

what does diazepam look like diazepam carpuject - diazepam uses side effects

Anonymous said...

buying ambien online ambien side effects muscle twitching - ambien cr 7 day trial coupon

Anonymous said...

can you buy xanax online will half a xanax show up in a drug test - xanax side effects on fetus

Anonymous said...

ativan pills ativan vs klonopin high - buy lorazepam in uk

Anonymous said...

buy alprazolam online new xanax 2mg - xanax long term effects

Anonymous said...

buy ativan online lorazepam 1mg vs clonazepam - ativan withdrawal length of time

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan dosage in children - ativan withdrawal and heart palpitations

Anonymous said...

ativan for sale ativan in alcohol withdrawal - ativan dosis

Anonymous said...

diazepam is diazepam generic for valium - side effects diazepam withdrawal

Anonymous said...

ambien price ambien cr side effects forum - ambien sleep driving side effect

Anonymous said...

valium without prescription valium dosage generic - is roche valium better than generic

Anonymous said...

soma carisoprodol carisoprodol good - carisoprodol therapeutic range

Anonymous said...

valium for sale no prescription valium happy pill - can you buy valium over the counter in the us

Anonymous said...

buy carisoprodol online generic soma imprints - carisoprodol 120

Anonymous said...

valium sale valerian vs valium dosage - valium xanax anxiety

Anonymous said...

no prescription:valium valium drug generic - drug better than valium

Anonymous said...

buy soma carisoprodol overdose death - soma usa online pharmacy